The NZ Tax 2020-Q3 and later versions allowed for the creation and preparation of GST returns in the web and to be lodged via IRD’s Gateway Services. The bulk creation/rollover of GST returns will continue in the desktop application for a period while equivalent web management functions are being developed.
While the applications are working in tandem like this, the status of each return will be shown in both the web and desktop applications via the 'web to desktop syncing' mechanism. Any change in a web GST return's status (including its creation) will be reflected into the status of the desktop version of that GST return to allow status management of your GST returns in the desktop to continue.
If you create a return through the web application, and the desktop GST return does not exist for the web return's period end date, the 'status synching' process can create the missing GST return and then set its status. As with current desktop functionality, a new GST return must be linked to an existing matter. To identify the client's matter to be linked to the new GST return the following ‘search for matter’ steps are taken until one succeeds;
- Look for an existing GST return of the client prior to the new GST return period and use its matter
- Look for the latest desktop GST return of the client and use its matter
- No desktop GST return exists for this client so look for an existing matter with its standard matter matching SUPS setting 'GST Standard Matter ID' and use the identified matter
- Create a matter for the client with its standard matter matching the ‘GST Standard Matter ID’ SUPS setting and use the created matter
The GST return creation can then be performed with a matter link as set by one of the 4 steps detailed.
Use of the GST rollover process will largely eliminate the need for the syncing process to create any GST returns but please be aware of the following;
- If you have multiple GST standard matters in use for management of your workflow processes then you will need to have created the appropriate matter for the client and at least one GST return linked to that matter to ensure any subsequent GST return created by the status synching process is also linked to that matter.
- If there is a change of client matter you want to be linked to your new GST returns (ie that differs from the matter linked to earlier GST returns), create matter AND the GST return so that the synching process does not need to create the GST return using the 'search for matter' steps described above.